Sunday, March 3, 2013

Dienen! Dienen! Parsifal in HD



After weeks of excited waiting, I finally saw the Met broadcast of Parsifal last night. What an opera! I think the last time I was so affected by an opera, it was Fidelio, and we all know how that turned out. But in this case, it wasn't so much the music that affected me (although it was spectacular) as it was the sometimes shockingly human emotions that were put across by the singers.

If you've been following this blog for a while, you know that I am first and foremost a writer, not a critic. I did choir in school and had music lessons as a child, but I am not remotely a musician, just an enthusiastic amateur. What attracts me most to opera, after the music, is the story. It is hard for me to just listen to the music without having seen the opera in performance, first. Because I am very visual and very connected to the storyline, I have to really see an opera before I can decide if I like it or not. This comes from my need to understand the character, what drives him, what his surroundings are. I tend to approach opera as a novelist, first and foremost.

So this production blew me away. I went into it much like I have with all the other Wagner operas I've seen thus far: I read up on it in William Bergers's
awesome and hilarious Wagner book, and then came to it with an open mind. All of my Twitter friends have been posting about leitmotifs and poetry and past performances and all that, and I let it be. I decided to just show up and see what they had to offer. And I was blown away.

I think it goes without saying that there is something almost supernatural about Jonas Kaufmann's combined acting and singing ability. That man owned this opera. He went from arrogant and impressionable boy to maturing youth to humble, weary knight in a way that probably puts all the great Wagner tenors of the past to shame (fighting words, I know). I loved the unintentional hilarity of his watching the Grail service take place. There's Amfortas, weeping and wailing at his pain and his unworthiness as he is surrounded by the knights, and suddenly Parsifal pops up, looking over their shoulders as if to get a better view, before retreating from the knights' death-glares. The way the ceremony was staged made it feel less controversial to me (I am not a Catholic, so don't attend mass, but this was so far from a proper mass as to be something else entirely). And the music! All I can say was that I was completely verklempt during the first pause.

As I said on Twitter when I got home last night, I kind of want to marry Peter Mattei and have his little Swedish babies for what he did to that role. His was incredible. The singing, the acting, the pain-I have rarely seen anything quite like it, period. He absolutely killed me during his Act 3 aria. Rene Pape, too, is my hero. His Gurnemanz was magnificent.I am a sucker for tenderness, and the way he handled Act 3 was just...I'd say I have no words, but I actually have a lot of them.

Let me talk for a moment about Act 3. A ton has been said about Act 2 and the seduction, and Act 1 and the separation of the sexes in the wilderness, so I'm not going to touch that. Let me instead tell you what really touched me, in the end.

I am, I have to admit, a right old sap. I love to see characters go on a journey and get really beaten, and yet transcend their troubles to become their higher selves. In that sense, Parsifal was tailor-made for me. In Act 3, we see Gurnemanz praying before some open graves, then finding Kundry, lying asleep in a heap. He takes her hand and rubs it, trying to wake her, strokes her hair, even goes so far as to kiss her fingers (not, I think, something he would have done in Act 1). And then Parsifal enters, bent almost double, dragging himself along as though he barely has the strength to stand. He prostrates himself on the ground before the Spear, exhausted, and then Gurnemanz finally recognizes him as that "young fool" from so long ago. As someone who doesn't care for pomp and arrogance, I loved the way this scene was played. Parsifal is exhausted, hungry, upset that he wandered for so long, unable to find Amfortas, that everyone's been dying. He sinks down into Gurnemanz's arms like an exhausted child, half conscious, and that good knight just holds him up, not saying anything, while Kundry fetches water. As per the libretto, they bathe him and give him new clothes. As per the Girard production, Gurnemanz blesses Parsifal and helps him to dress with all the tenderness of a father for his long-lost son. And you see how grateful for it Parsifal is. They touch hands, shoulders, an old man and his long-hoped-for son, both tired and downtrodden, but sensing peace and hope in each other.

In this production, there was nothing but humility about Parsifal when he returned. He blessed Kundry and held her hand not with the loftiness of a knight of the Grail, but as a man who has learned to understand the horror she has been through. They are fellows at this moment, compatriots. It was totally appropriate for her to be the one to open the Grail cask and participate in the ceremony-I really don't think it could have been anyone else. And again we had Gurnemanz, he of the quiet strength, to hold her as she died with a dignity that has been denied to her for millenia.

That's what does it for me: quiet tenderness, absolution, the love the characters have for each other in spite of all that they have been through. Kaufmann, Pape and Dalayman were able to bring that across in spades. My inner softie was a howling mess by the time the curtain went down.

And yet, through it all, my inner Twitter-loving sasspot couldn't quite shut up. Well, at least not for the first two acts. She was smacked into silence by the softie for Act 3. So here are some of the brief, irreverent thoughts I had earlier on in the opera:

In Act 1, these didn't so much seem like the Knights of the Holy Grail as they did the Knights of the Holy Sea Anemone.

German audiences do not applaud at the end of Act 1. Even when the opera is a movie theater and as far away from Wagner's vision as it can possibly get. I'm pretty sure they were all cursing the New York audience as philistines.

My subtitles were in German, so I'm not sure I understood this correctly, but this exchange seemed to happen in Act 1:
Amfortas: "Where's Gawain?"
Squire: "Klingsor got him."
Amfortas: "Damn."

Katarina Dalayman's Kundry clearly went to the Helena Bonham Carter school of crazy. She reminded me of nothing so much as a less evil Bellatrix Lestrange.

German audiences LOVE their boys. Jonas Kaufmann got so many cheers and giggles during his interview, and everyone shrieked with glee when he turned to the camera to "say a few sentences in German", and proceeded to great all his family and friends and "my Uncle Carmello in Berlin". So much love for him. He was so cute.

Rene Pape standing behind Eric Owens in the dressing room area and moving to see if the camera was still there was so funny. I half expected him to move right...move left...wave. But he didn't. Alas. Also, Kaufmann strolling around behind Owens without a shirt on had to be a prank. Either that, or no one thought that interview location through properly.

Am I the only one who was reminded of that creepy movie The Ring during Act 2? The Flower Maidens were Samara and it was scary as hell.

And those are my (disjointed, rambling) thoughts. We can talk about it more in the comments, if you like.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard for me to just listen to the music without having seen the opera in performance, first. Because I am very visual and very connected to the storyline, I have to really see an opera before I can decide if I like it or not. This comes from my need to understand the character, what drives him, what his surroundings are. I tend to approach opera as a novelist, first and foremost.

------

Really?

Isn't opera first and foremost a musical phenomenon? Isn't the ESSENTIAL argument posed in musical language?

Why is sitting down and listening to a recording - directing the performance in one's head - difficult for you?

Christie said...

@Anonymous: I don't think it's particularly weird, considering how long opera's been around compared to recordings. As for me, I adore music, but what really gets me at the end of it all is the story. You can love the music and hate (or not know) the story, and vice versa, but I like to love both, which is why I prefer to see opera live.

Lucy said...

SO glad you enjoyed so much! I'm with you on the gobsmacked adoration of the Personenregie (so good with the music) and of what the singers do with their roles.

Pursuant to the comments conversation, I've discovered a lot of operas--with great pleasure--via recordings, but agree that live performance is really vital to appreciate an opera as the whole experience it's designed to be.

Susan said...

Yes! Sea anemones! It's not just me!

Christie said...

@Lucy: One thing I forgot to mention was how much I loved the quiet dignity of Amfortas when he is healed, climbing out of the grave and joining his knights in kneeling to Parsifal. The whole of Act 3...well, you've read my Fidelio. You have some idea of how much it affected me. :-)

@Susan: I found the sea anemone thing a little distracting, to be honest, as it seemed such a funny thing for them to be doing. Ah, well.

villagediva said...

I found the HD a marvellous Gesamtkunstwerke experience. Lucky Metgoers to see it for real! @Anonymous: Opera is theatre, as well as music. Yes, it’s rewarding to listen, but also enriching to observe the dramatic interpretations that different singers bring to roles (I or not...), and the interpretation of the director, which in this case is particularly enriching. Much of the talk on opera blogs is about this - comparing productions, singers’ interpretation and degree of involvement, as well as musicality. The combined effect, as many seem to experience with this Parsifal, can be stunning, exciting, emotionally and intellectually.

Christie, my Parsifal libretto has been at my elbow for the last month - so I will be pedantic and give you what your Berlin screen apparently did not.

Amfortas:
.................
Gawan!

2nd Knight:

Herr! Gawan weilte nicht:
da seines Heilkrauts Kraft
wie schwer er’s auch errungen
doch deine Hoffnung trog
hat er auf neue Sucht sich
fortgeschwungen.

Amfortas:

Ohn ‘Urlaub? - Moege das er suehnen,
dass schlecht er Gralsgebote haelt!
Oh wehe ihm, dem trotzig Kuehnen,
wenn er in Klingsors Schlingen faellt!

Hope that helps a bit.

I loved the flower opening and closing - not just a good visual solution to a static part of the opera, but one which belonged to the whole interpretation - the swaying could be a primaeval bit of cultic ritual; it resonated with the Flower Maidens stylised ‘mythic’ choreography, and I am happy to see the flower as a lotus, rather than a sea-anenome! The lotus is a common symbol in Buddhism as something which arises pure and pristine out of the muddy swamp in which it grows. Water theme again.
It was thrilling to see and hear JK come into his birthright as Parsifal, although after the visceral nature of Act 2 I found his staggering entrance in Act 3 verging dangerously on the hammy. Like you, I found Rene Pape infinitely moving - grumpy, tetchy, wise, tragic, hopeful, compassionate, full of quiet presence.
Wonderful that Parsifal and Kundry are depicted as equals. I have not seen any other production so don’t know if this is a first or not. She wears a Tibetan Buddhist ‘mala’, prayer beads, amongst her necklaces. I found lots of Buddhist resonances, but then I would! Wagner drafted an opera called Die Sieger many years before Parsifal, on a Buddhist tale, which also ends with the outcast woman being accepted into the spiritual community. It really seems that Girard has done his research - I would love to be able to talk to him. I just wish someone with some knowledge of Buddhism had written the surtitles.......

Am off to the Tibetan Buddhist monastery in the foothills of the Indian Himalayas again in 3 week’s time - JK always comes too, and this time there will be lots more of Wagner to listen to - I will light a candle for each of them!

Christie said...

@Villagediva: That helps! Thanks!

You know, I'm glad you pointed out the lotus idea to me, because I wouldn't have thought of that (grew up by the ocean; programmed to think of oceanic things). I also noticed Kundry's mala beads-I liked how she wore all the different religious symbols, and removed them as a sign of an open heart at the end. Poor Kundry.

Lucky you, getting to go to Tibet! Someday I will travel there and get some mala beads of my own. Have a wonderful trip, and enjoy the new Wagner album! Jonas is almost supernaturally good on it.

villagediva said...

Not actually Tibet! It's on the Indian side of the Himalayas, not far from Dharamsala (top left-hand corner of India). Only got to Tibet once, years ago, for a short time, and not very far in because of avalanches and landslides!

Meant to ask you - when you met JK did you tell him about your Fidelio novel?

Christie said...

@VillageDiva: You know, I didn't. I didn't want JK to think I was creepy, demanding to know why he had bowed out of being "my" Florestan, and then in the same breath saying, "Because I wrote a novel about Fidelio and I wanted to see you in the role". Maybe I should have.